Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hola desde Lima!

My Peace Corps adventure officially started on Thursday morning when my parents dropped me off at the airport in Kansas City (after very little sleep). I flew to Washington DC and joined 77 other trainees and about half a dozen staff at a hotel. We turned in documents, proofed our passports and airline tickets, got loan deferment certification, and did about 6 hours of socializing, team-building, logistics and other preparations. We even got a surprise visit from the Peru country director and a couple of other staff. Finally at 7pm we were free to find group to walk with to go out to dinner, and then I showered, sent an email to my parents, and crashed by 10:45.

Friday morning we had to be up at 5:30, checked out by 6:30, and loaded onto the buses with our luggage by about 7:30. Our flight was supposed to leave at 12:40. It ended up being delayed by about an hour, which would have put us into Miami right before our flight to Lima would have left. However, with 78 of us we weren't too worried about missing our flight. We arrived in Lima 9:30 Peru time (which is technically Eastern time, but is Central time during Daylight Savings Time). By the time we got through immigration and customs, and then were told that there were problems with our bus reservation, we didn't get loaded onto mini-buses and out of the airport until 11:30. We finally got to a retreat in the far outskirts of Lima by 1:00.

Today, Saturday, we were up at 7:00. We spent most of the day learning more information about the different programs, getting our medical kits and money to pay our host families, giving our preferences about host family arrangements, and doing an interview in Spanish to determine in what level of class we should be placed. I can generally read Spanish pretty well, but I struggled a little trying to converse on the spot, especially when conjugating past tense verbs. I'm curious to find out what level I'm in. During our free time before dinner, several of us got to pick the brains of two volunteers that are almost done with their two years and have signed on for a third.

Tomorrow we will head out to our training centers. My group, Environmental Education, and the Water and Sanitation group will be doing our training at a new center in a suburb about an hour outside of Lima, while the Health group will be doing their training at the original center in a suburb about 30 minutes outside Lima. Then we will meet and go home with our host families...I am excited but nervous about this. I will be the only trainee in my family. I am very interested to meet these people, but I don't know what kind of family it will be (older couple, family with kids...) or anything else about the food or living situation. Mostly I am concerned about my level of Spanish and whether or not we will like each other.

So far I am enjoying myself. All of the other trainees seem nice, smart, and interesting, and I think the staff are even more excited to have us here than we are to be here. The weather here is beautiful, especially outside the smog of Lima, though I was surprised to have the sun set at about 6:30. I've liked most of the food, though it is a little different than what I am used to. I miss my family, friends, and familiar surroundings of course, but it is hard to feel lonely with so many like-minded people around.

Hasta luego para ahora!

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see you had safe travels and are doing well. I hope your host family transition is going well. Keep the updates coming. Can't wait to see pics :)

    Cheers!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun to follow your adventure. Hope to hear more soon.
    All is well is Linn County. :)
    Aloha, Judy

    ReplyDelete